Friday, January 15, 2010

"you can't love anything more than something you miss"

i was so affected by this book.
it is beautifully written, poignant, meaningful, and different. i fell in love with it from the first page.
jonathan safran foer is a genius of a writer and even the simplest idea sounds like a masterpiece because of his wording and the feeling that his words give off. every word is perfectly used.
you feel so many different emotions during the book, but you can't put it down. the story that foer tells is beautiful and the characters are unique. he develops them in a way that causes you to really know them; they feel real.
i was crying as i read the final pages of the book and i was sitting in the car with my mom when this happened. it was that moving.
i would recommend this book to anyone.

"What about little microphones? What if everyone swallowed them, and they played the sounds of our hearts through little speakers, which could be in the pouches of our overalls? When you skateboarded down the street at night you could hear everyone's heartbeat, and they could hear yours, sort of like sonar. One weird thing is, I wonder if everyone's hearts would start to beat at the same time, like how women who live together have their menstrual periods at the same time, which I know about, but don't really want to know about. That would be so weird, except that the place in the hospital where babies are born would sound like a crystal chandelier in a houseboat, because the babies wouldn't have had time to match up their heartbeats yet. And at the finish line at the end of the New York City Marathon it would sound like war."

"Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living"

""But it was unnecessary.
There would be other nights.
And how can you say I love you to someone you love?
I rolled on my side and fell asleep next to her.
Here is the point of everything I've been trying to tell you, Oskar.
It's always necessary.
I love you,
Grandma""

"I stood on the bed, pointed my fingers at the fake stars, and screamed: 'I changed the course of human history!' 'That's right.' 'I changed the universe!' 'You did.' 'I'm God!' 'You're an atheist.' 'I don't exist!' I fell back onto the bed, into his arms, and we cracked up together."

2 comments:

  1. This has been on my must-read list for far too long. I will read it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog is titled after a line from that book...I would copy and paste it but for some reason it's not letting me. Anyway, I'm glad you liked it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete